Practice framework resources for health and safety
This represents the school or ECE service provider’s approach to delivering health and safety in the workplace. It sets out and describes the standard against which a school or ECE service provider measures and accounts for its health and safety performance. This system is integrated with good practice and quality.
While these resources are generally for use by schools, early childhood education (ECE) services and kōhanga reo may find their content useful. These have been marked with an asterisk*. These resources have been developed through the Sector Reference Group and NZSTA.
Our factsheets have been written for schools, ECEs and kōhanga reo to use
H&S practice resources [PDF, 161 KB]: Legislation and Regulations, policies and processes, and guidance and resources
- Guide to the code of practice for school exempt laboratories [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Fire and safety design requirements for schools for boards, project managers and design consultants
- Guidelines for the surrender and retention of property and searches
- Hostel Regulations
- Security management
- Water safety resources and safety tips (external link) *
- Swimming pools at schools
- Health conditions in education settings*
- Safety in technology education guidance manual April 2017 [PDF, 1.9 MB] (updated for schools and kura). The manual gives teachers, principals, and Boards of Trustees guidelines and information to put in place sound health and safety policies and procedures for technology teaching and learning.
- Be prepared to deal with a cardiac arrest (heart attack) at your school or during an offsite school event. Download the AEDs (automated external defibrillators) in schools [PDF, 311 KB].
Tools and resources
- Keeping students safe on school buses
- Smokefree policy template for schools (external link)
- Digital technology guide for schools
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback