Early Childhood Advisory Committee (ECAC)
ECAC is an important part of the Ministry’s relationship with the sector. The purpose of ECAC is to foster a relationship between Government and the ECE sector to achieve common goals.
The committee is made up of representatives from early childhood education (ECE) sector organisations. It broadly represents licensed ECE services and kōhanga reo.
Membership of the committee
The Ministry of Education invites ECE organisations to become members of the committee. The organisations then nominate a representative.
The organisations represented on the committee are:
- Barnardos New Zealand
- Christian Early Childhood Education Association of Aotearoa
- Early Intervention Association of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Early Childhood Council
- Early Childhood Leadership
- Home Early Learning Organisation
- Hospital Play Specialists Association
- Montessori Aotearoa New Zealand
- NZEI Te Riu Roa
- New Zealand Home-based Early Childhood Education Association
- New Zealand Kindergartens Inc.
- Playcentre Federation of New Zealand
- Pasifika Advisory Group
- Te Kōhanga Reo National Trust
- Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu - The Correspondence School
- Te Rito Maioha Early Childhood New Zealand
- The Federation of Rudolf Steiner Waldorf Schools in New Zealand
- Te Kura – the Correspondence School.
ECAC meets 4 times a year at the Ministry of Education offices in Wellington. As well as the committee, the meetings are attended by Ministry of Education staff and observers from other education agencies.
The meetings allow ECE organisations to:
- share information
- give feedback on proposals by the Government, the Ministry and other government agencies
- talk about difficulties and opportunities facing the ECE sector
- identify and discuss strategic challenges and opportunities.
Information from ECAC meetings
Read the minutes and any presentations from ECAC meetings.
- ECAC minutes and presentations - September 2017
- ECAC minutes and presentations - June 2017
- ECAC minutes and presentations - February 2017
- ECAC minutes and presentations - December 2016
ECAC minutes and presentations – December 2017
ECAC met on 6 December 2017. Agenda items included:
- Learning Support
- Education Review Office (ERO) update
- Conversation with the Minister of Education, Hon Chris Hipkins
- Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako
Minutes and presentations from this meeting will be available here soon.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback