Māori Tertiary Education Framework
This page contains Information about the Māori Tertiary Education Framework and a link to download the publication.
The Māori Tertiary Education Framework (MTEF) is designed to support -
- Tertiary Education Organisations as the steering and funding policies of the tertiary reforms continue
- Maori communities to assist them in their interactions with local tertiary providers and the development of their own education plans
- Government agencies through offering strategic direction for future policy development including future Statement's of Tertiary Education Priorities and Tertiary Education Strategies
- Industry and businesses as they work to establish links between Maori communities, tertiary education providers and themselves for the purpose of regional economic development
- The MTEF is the final product developed by the Maori Tertiary Reference Group (MTRG).
This group was brought together by the Ministry of Education in 2001 to assist in the development of Charters and Profiles. Lead by Professor Linda Tuhiwai Smith the group lead the nation-wide consultation process amongst Maori communities for the development of the Tertiary Education Strategy.
The Framework outlines the key themes shared by Maori communities through oral and written submissions during the consultation process. It then combines key themes with information from the Hui Taumata Matauranga process and the Ministry of Education iwi partnerships.
The Framework is not a completed work and is not prescriptive. It aims to act as a starting point to initiate discussions between these communities and their local and regional tertiary education providers.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback