Consultation to further strengthen the Code of Practice
We want your feedback on a number of issues raised about the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice (the Code of Practice). Your feedback will enable us to have a better understanding of the concerns raised and possible ways to address them. Consultation runs from 1-29 August 2017.
All schools and tertiary providers that enrol international students must be a signatory to the Code of Practice. It requires them to ensure that they are taking reasonable steps to protect the international students and provide a positive experience that supports their educational achievement.
Since the introduction of the new Code of Practice on 1 July 2016, the Ministry has received feedback from the sector about the following issues:
- maintaining Code of Practice signatory status of signatories not enrolling international students for a period of time
- safety checks for residential caregivers and other adults living with an international student under 18
- clarifying the role of the designated caregiver
- short-term school visits of overseas students.
The consultation runs from 1-29 August. We are keen to hear from schools, tertiary providers, sector peak bodies, international students and their families.
The consultation document [PDF, 241 KB] contains information about the issues raised that you can refer to when making your submission, and the consultation questions. You may also find it useful to refer to the Code of Practice (external link) and NZQA’s Guidelines for Schools (external link) when making your submission.
You can submit feedback in two ways:
- completing the online SurveyMonkey (external link) questionnaire
- or by sending feedback by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by post addressed to:
Consultation on the Code of Practice
Ministry of Education
PO Box 1666
We will review all submissions and make recommendations. A report summarising the results will be posted on this page.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback