Risk Management Scheme – contents and liability insurance
Information about the Ministry of Education’s Risk Management Scheme including how to join, the cost and making a claim.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
School boards can choose to join the scheme to get comprehensive contents and liability insurance for your school, or insure with a private insurance company. All school assets, other than land and buildings owned by the Crown, must be insured.
Please note: This page will be updated with more information in early 2020.
What it is: The Ministry of Education employs Crawford New Zealand as the loss assessors, Lumley General Insurance (NZ) Limited provides the liability insurance cover for the scheme, and Marsh will be the insurance broker from 1 January 2020.
What it is for: The scheme provides comprehensive contents and legal liability insurance coverage, including public liability cover.
Who it is for: State and state-integrated schools.
Schools can join the scheme at any time during the year.
- Once your school is a member, it stays in the scheme until you decide to withdraw
- There is no annual renewal process.
- fill out the application form and send it to us (the address is on the form)
- you can specify the date cover is to start, so it’s in place before any existing cover expires
- the application process only takes one day from when we receive the form.
Note: Once your school’s application to join the scheme is approved, you need to cancel your existing insurance policy unless you have arranged the start of your cover to match the end of any existing cover.
New schools are automatically made members of the scheme.
- No levies are charged during a new school’s establishment phase
- Levies begin once the school is open and operational.
- Your board can opt out of the Ministry scheme and secure alternative cover once the school is open.
The scheme’s insurance levy is $10.50 per pupil per annum.
Your levy is deducted quarterly from your school’s operational funding entitlement.
Your operational funding entitlement notice tells you how much the levy is. Details are shown under the heading ‘Risk management’.
To make a claim for contents phone McLarens New Zealand.
Phone: 0800 800 425
Legal liability claim
To make a liability claim, call Lumley General Insurance.
Phone: 0800 293 031 (select option 4)
To cancel your membership at any time, fill out the withdrawal form and send it to us.
- The address is on the form.
- Make sure you include evidence that your school has alternative insurance cover.
- For example, a copy of the policy or a letter from your new insurance company confirming cover.
- When your withdrawal is approved, you’ll receive a refund of the per pupil deduction for the part of the year for which cover has been paid for through the operational funding deduction.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback