Novel coronavirus: Information for tertiary institutions and tertiary students, including international students

Information about Novel coronavirus for tertiary institutions and tertiary students, including international students.

Young people are currently returning to their tertiary study. You may be welcoming international students to study in 2020 from an area where there is coronavirus. The health of students and staff is a priority for all. We encourage you to err on the side of caution. Here are some steps you can take.

Advice to an unwell student or staff member

Anyone who is unwell should not attend their tertiary institution. If you have a particular concern about any student or staff member, please urge them to contact Healthline at 0800 358 5453 or their GP for medical advice.

Healthline has translators and interpreters available 24/7 in 150 languages including Mandarin and Cantonese.

The incubation period is currently considered to be up to 14 days. 

If you have recently been to China, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with the virus, we encourage you to delay the start of your study year for 14 days and stay home.

Are you having accommodation issues?

Hi international students, 

If you are having accommodation issues, please call your education provider first. They are there to help you. 

If you are unable to reach them, call Tertiary Education Commission on 0800 123 797 Monday to Friday.

You can also contact a Ministry of Education office near you Monday to Friday:

Ministry of Education regional office contacts (external link)

Or you can call NZQA on 0800 697 296 Monday to Friday.


如果您无法联系到他们,请在周一至周五致电高等教育委员会(Tertiary Education Commission):0800 123 797。
您也可以在周一至周五联系您附近的教育部办公室Ministry of Education regional office contacts (external link)  (教育部区域办公室联系方式)
或者可以在周一至周五致电新西兰学历认证局(NZQA),电话:0800 697 296。


或者可以在周一至周五致电新西兰学历认证局(NZQA),电话:0800 697 296。



如果您無法聯繫到他們,請在周一至週五致電高等教育委員會(Tertiary Education Commission):0800 123 797。

您也可以在周一至週五聯繫您附近的教育部辦公室Ministry of Education regional office contacts (external link) (教育部區域辦公室聯繫方式)

或者您可以在周一至週五致電紐西蘭資格認證局(NZQA), 電話:0800 697 296。

緊急情況下,您可以致電:0800 1234567。

Public health units/district health boards

You can contact your local public health unit/district health board if you require further information:

Public Health Unit contacts – Ministry of Health (external link)

Travel to and from China

As of 2 February 2020, all travellers arriving in New Zealand out of mainland China should stay away from school for a period of 14 days from the time they leave mainland China.

People who departed from mainland China before midnight 2 February are not required to stay away unless they have been in Wuhan City or Hubei Province in the last 14 days. 

If someone has been in close contact with a confirmed novel coronavirus case they should stay home for 14 days. If you develop symptoms including fever, coughing and difficulty breathing you should ring Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor.

Please see the Ministry Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) SafeTravel website for the latest advice on travel:

SafeTravel – Ministry Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) (external link)

More advice for students or staff returning from China is available on the Ministry of Health website:

Novel coronavirus guidance – Ministry of Health (external link)

Pandemic planning

If you would like to review your pandemic plan, the Ministry of Education guidance will assist you through that process:

Review your pandemic plan (external link)

Emergency Management planning (includes advice for pandemics)

The Emergency Management Plan template also includes provision for pandemics:

Emergency management plan template (external link)

(external link) Keep an eye on our website and the Ministry of Health website for updates: 

Novel coronavirus guidance – Ministry of Health (external link)

Key contacts


Healthline has set up a dedicated 0800 number specifically for health-related calls about coronavirus:

The Healthline existing number 0800 611 116 is still the main number to call for non-coronavirus health concerns.

Healthline has translators and interpreters available 24/7 in 150 languages including Mandarin and Cantonese.

Public health units/district health boards

If you need to contact your public health officer: 

Public Health Unit Contacts – Ministry of Health (external link)

New Zealand Immigration

Keep updated on travel restriuctions through the New Zealand Immigration website:

Immigration New Zealand Coronavirus Update (external link)

New Zealand Human Rights Commission

If you know someone who has experienced racial discrimination related to coronavirus, the Human Rights Commission offers a free and confidential enquires and complaints service which you can use:

Pastoral care for students

If you have specific questions about pastoral care for domestic or international students, please call NZQA’s Code team on 0800 697 296.

All-of-Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) website

Cross-agency information about novel coronavirus (COVID-19) including health advice and travel restrictions.

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) – New Zealand Government website (external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback