If you’re shifting schools
If you are teaching staff and you are moving to work at another school, you may be eligible to receive a payment from the Ministry to assist with the costs of relocation.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
When moving schools, teaching staff can choose to claim for a payment from the Ministry, if they meet specified criteria.
- Transfer and removal payments
- Who can apply for a payment
- Before you apply for a payment
- How to apply
- Removal company
Transfer and removal payments are available in 2 parts as:
- a lump sum payment to cover costs such as travel, phone connection, in-transit accommodation and meals, and school uniform changes for your children, and
- reimbursement of accommodation and property expenses not covered by the lump sum, such as rent, mortgage penalties, and real estate and legal fees for the sale or purchase of a property.
You may be eligible for a transfer and/or removal payment if you’re moving because you’ve been promoted, or you’re moving to work at a school that qualifies for a:
- staffing incentive allowance
- high priority allowance, or
- isolation allowance (‘hard to staff’ schools).
The basic criteria is that you must be moving to an area that comes under a different district or city council than where you’re currently living.
Before you apply for a payment, carefully read your employment agreement. Transfer and removal payments are set out in the collective agreements as follows:
To apply for a lump sum payment, complete the following Lump Sum Eligibility and Assessment Form (TR1).
To apply for reimbursement of other expenses, complete the following Accommodation/Property Expenses Form (TR2).
New Zealand Van Lines Ltd (NZVL) is the Ministry of Education’s contracted provider for household removals within New Zealand.
Once the Ministry has approved your application for transfer and removal payments, a representative from NZVL will contact you to arrange a pre-pack inspection, and packing, removal and delivery of your household goods. The Ministry pays NZVL directly.
You’ll find a list of the company’s offices on their website. If you need to contact NZVL, contact the office nearest to where you’re moving from, and make sure you let them know you’re being moved at the Ministry of Education’s expense.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback