ESOL professional development
We provide resources and professional development support to help teachers and teacher aides develop their skills in working with English language learners.
- English Language Learning Progressions professional support
- Working with English language learners handbook and DVD for teacher aides and bilingual tutors
- Scholarships for Teaching English in Schools for Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL)
The English Language Learning Progressions (external link) (ELLP) is a resource for teachers that:
- helps you choose content, vocabulary and tasks that are appropriate to each student’s age, stage and language learning needs
- describes typical patterns for English language learners as they acquire an additional language
- explains how to monitor and report on your students’ progress.
To help you use the ELLPs more effectively, you can work through the online resource Using the English Language Learning Progressions: professional support for leaders and teachers (external link) .
The Working with English Language Learners handbook for teacher aides and bilingual tutors is supported by a series of online modules.
Your school’s ESOL teacher, or an experienced teacher, needs to work through the resources with you, or with a small group of teacher aides. Your coordinating teacher will sign off the Certificate for Completion of the Modules as you complete each module, and the principal signs the certificate upon completion.
Your school can choose how to deliver this programme. As a guide, the 10 modules are designed to be completed over two terms, taking roughly two hours a fortnight.
Order the Working with English language learners DVD and handbook from Down the Back of the Chair (external link) or by calling 0800 660 662.
Download the certificate for completion of modules [PDF, 286 KB].
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback