Youth Advisory Group terms of reference
Find out about the expectations and responsibilities of the Ministerial Youth Advisory Group.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
- Purpose of the Youth Advisory Group
- Meetings and reporting
- Terms of appointment and appointment process
- Operation, induction, training and review
- Role description, Code of Conduct and member succession process
- A way for New Zealand youth to share their experiences and perspectives on education with the Minister of Education.
- Members bring their insights to the Ministry of Education to help inform how we work and improve the education system.
- Members will attend orientation and at least three face-to-face meetings and online meetings as required.
- The Youth Advisory Group insights and advice are officially reported to the Minister of Education and distributed to relevant Ministry groups and education sector agencies.
The Youth Advisory Group will include up to 12 members. If required, additional members may be brought into the group for their specialist knowledge and experience.
The Youth Advisory Group is expected to have:
- gender diversity
- ethnic diversity
- regional diversity across New Zealand
- disability lived experience
- different community and cultural perspectives
- different types of education experiences
- those who are NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training)
- different types of lived experience that impact on education.
- be aged between 14 and 18 years as of 1 January every year
- work with other people and in a team
- share their perspectives
- be approachable and an effective communicator
- return the signed parental, guardian or caregiver consent (where applicable)
- be able to commit to the meeting schedule
- be able to travel to Wellington to attend meetings.
The standard term of appointment (or tenure) for each member will be:
- for up to one year, or
- at the discretion of the Minister of Education.
- The Ministry of Education has set up a secretariat to oversee the administration and support of the Youth Advisory Group, including any costs.
- All members joining the Youth Advisory Group will receive an orientation pack and information explaining the Ministry of Education functions and processes.
- The terms of reference will be reviewed as required. All changes to the terms of reference will be subject to the approval of the Minister of Education.
The Youth Advisory Group terms of reference also includes:
- Role descriptions for the Youth Advisory Group secretariat, facilitator and members
- (external link)Code of Conduct
- (external link)Member succession process
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback